Thursday, January 28, 2016

Momma. revisited

I made an entry during September of 2012 about Kimberley and her experience dealing with a newborn who has CP. I was going to post a new entry about yesterdays big doctor visit but after re-reading the post titled "My Wife-His Mother" I've decided to provide an update with regards to it. I hope you enjoy.

You can revisit the old blog entry here, I encourage you to give it another look.
http://prayersforcash.blogspot.com/2012/09/my-wifehis-mother.html


The damned measuring stick keeps getting adjusted. It may be one of the most difficult parts to understand your child's growth. I mean even for a parent of a "normally developing" child, isn't this a pain in the butt? One year at school your kid excels in every way-seemingly without a drop of sweat they breeze through the year with straight A's, a couple 3 pointers and lots of spiritual growth; then the next year you look at them at some point and ask, "Who are you?" "What the hell happened to last years kid?" No? Well, heck I guess it's just me then. There are times when Savy is on a roll, kickin' butt, then all of a sudden BOOM, she just can't get her crap together. We all have our ups and downs I suppose, but typically we kinda know what our children are capable of from one day to the next with rare surprises.

Por ejemplo, Savy tells me she's going to do the high jump in track for school. Now I aint sayin' she can't, but the girl is knee high to a grasshopper on a good day in heels. The typical jumper is long and leggy, tall even and above all else-a real athlete. Savy likes to wear cheerleader uniforms with a bow in her hair. She looks darn good to. She loves football, which doesn't hurt seeing as she will spend 75% of her cheer career watching the game, but she doesn't have to run or hurl herself over a bar taller than her head. Feel me?

Ok,, back to what I was saying, the measuring stick can stick it. One day we see Cash running in his gate trainer across the room, smiling and opening doors and the next day he won't pull his knees up under him to learn to crawl. Meanwhile we have to get him to do his best and hopefully get him mobile. There's a job to do but you never know when your days work is over.

Kimberley, has a long measuring stick, as discussed in the previously mentioned blog entry,
She is methodical, engineer'ish in approach, practical and reliable. She is a rock. Nope, she is a cave. She is made of rock, but has little secret passage ways, caverns and a small opening out front to keep all those twisting tunnels safe. She keeps us all safe. Steady, firm and reliable.

Every couple in a lasting and healthy relationship experiences the handing off of the reins at certain times, taking turns righting the ship and maneuvering the choppy waters of life. Today, I pass the torch.

We will use your measuring stick Kimberley. I will travel your narrows and discover what you will reveal to me, because I know you will keep us safe. You are our children's enveloping arms and I know you know what is best. You are steadfast, deliberate and thoughtful, and I thank you.

I'm going to catch my breath. Still a long ride ahead, and if I've learned anything in this life it's that just as you hit dry land, there's always a rough landing.

I love you.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment